Monday, August 17, 2015

Mindful {Monday} | Fear


Fear is meant to stop you from doing things that are potentially dangerous, foolish, or embarrassing. In many ways, fear keeps us safe, but letting fear drive all our decisions doesn't allow us to live our lives to the fullest potential.

Fears are meant to be conquered.  Each fear that is conquered is a building block in the foundation and structure of our lives.  These achievements build us into confident, happy, and wiser people. 

Sometimes I need to remind myself of this.  I try to push myself to the other side of risk and fear, because I don't want to look back and say "what if." Some risks are worth taking.  If nothing else, you'll always learn something. 

To clarify, I am one of the least impetuous people you'll ever meet.  I analyze and mull over even the tiniest of decisions, but I try to set myself a time limit to prevent overthinking.  Once I've reached a decision, any risk I take tends to be mostly calculated.  

Six years ago, I took one of the BIGGEST risks of my life.  I turned down a dream job, left home, moved 800 miles {without a job - but that's another story},  and took a chance on love.  haha  

Cliché, I know. I'm a romantic through and through.   

It ended up being the right choice for me.  The risk panned out.  I had a job within a couple weeks and in 6 months was well on my way to being completely integrated in my new Southern environment. Flash forward to now, I'm still a work in progress {obviously}, but I'm happily married to Mr.Risk and busily building our cozy home with him.  

Even though this risk worked out, I still find myself blazing ahead at times only to then pause and teeter on the precipice of a decision.  

Fear is, and probably always will be, something I need to work to overcome.  

Knowledge is half the battle though, right?  Knowing that fear can be limiting, and being able to remind myself of this fact, is what keeps me reaching higher, digging deeper, and trying my best to choose a positive and fun path to travel!  Even if, at first, the path looks a little unfamiliar and scary. 

By the way, shout out to a few people I know that are taking risks and braving new paths. 

  • I have a friend that took an amazing solo backpacking trip to Italy!  This was a big courageous move for her and I'm so proud.  Talk about stepping out of your comfort zone and conquering fears.  She's amazing and I can't wait to hear all about her spectacular journey. 
  • A friend of a friend, who is a wonderful person and a great inspiration to me.  She just accepted a new job offer and I'm so happy for her! It's going to be new, a bit scary, and hopefully just what she needs to help her spread her wings and grow even more wonderful than before. 
  • Also, that Mister Risk of mine?  He's going back to University next week to get his Master's. Words cannot express how excited I am for him.  I know how much thought and time he put into making this decision and I am so entirely proud of him for going after what he wants! :)

No comments:

All images and text are property of Rose Spadaro and may not be reproduced without permission. This site is powered by Blogger and was made a little lovelier by The Sunday Studio.